Re-post from my Tumblr blog:
Below is the tutorial for this scallop corner coaster. This is a great project for beginners to practice all the basic stitches.
- single crochet
- double crochet
- triple crochet
You will need
Crochet hook 1.3 mm
Mercerized Cotton yarn No.20 (2 colors: 1 skein each)
Step 2: Row 2
- 2.1 Chain 3.
- 2.2 Make 2 double crochet in the 5th chain from the hook. (Now you will see that you have a “V”.
- 2.3 Skip 1 chain. Then make 2 double in the next chain.
- 2.4 Repeat step 2.3 across until the last 2 chains.
- 2.5 Skip 1 chain and make 1 double crochet in the last chain of the row.
Step 3: Row 3
- 3.1 Chain 3 (count as 1 double crochet).
- 3.2 Make 2 double crochet between the next 2 double crochet group (inside the “V”).
- 3.3 Repeat step 3.2 across the row. Make 1 double crochet in the last chain.
- 3.4 Turn to start the next row.
Step 4: Repeat Step 3 to make 13 more rows. (The finished square will be the total of 1 foundation row and 15 rows.
Step 5: Now we are going to change the color of the yarn in order to make the edge in another color. Before finishing the last stitch of the last row, yarn over the second color and pull through the remaining 2 loops on hook.
Step 6: Make 1 single crochet between the “V” (not inside the “v” as in step 3.2) alternate with 2 single crochet for all the way around the edge.
7.1 Make 1 single crochet, 1 double crochet, 1 triple crochet, 1 double crochet and 1 single crochet into the space underneath the 2 chains from the previous row ( all 5 stitches in the same space).
7.2 Make 2 single crochet into the space underneath the next 2 chains from the previous row ( all 5 stitches in the same space). Repeat this pattern across this side until you reach the space underneath the last 2 chains from the previous row.
Corners : Repeat step 7.1 for all the space underneath the last, the corner and the first 2 chains from the previous row. This step will create the scallop corners as shown in the pictures.
4 Sides : Repeat step 7.2 for all 4 sides.
Now you can bind off and weave in your ends.