Re-post from my Tumblr blog:
Let’s cook something that everyone in the family can enjoy! My family’s favorite recipe, stir-fried pumpkin. My little sister loves this dish. She has to have this dish every time she goes to visit our home in Chiangmai. Here is our recipe.
- 500 g Pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs oyster sauce (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs rice bran oil
- Use a spoon to scoop out all the seeds. Peel and cut the pumpkin into small pieces (approx. 2 x 2 cm).
- Chop all garlics.
- Heat the rice bran oil in the pan with medium heat.
- Add all chop garlic into the heated oil.
- When the garlics starting to become translucent, add the pumpkin to the pan. Turn the heat up and stir the pumpkin and the garlic together.
- When the pumpkin start to soften, add the egg, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir everything together.
- When the egg is fully cooked, serve with rice right away.
The pumpkin that is suitable for making this dish has to be ripe. The pumpkin I use for this recipe is Thai pumpkin. Sometimes I use japanese pumpkin as well. You can try using the pumpkin that you find at your local store. Butternut Squash is a fantastic idea. I think it will be delicious as well. It is usually fun to experiment with something new, don’t you think so?
If you do not add the oyster sauce, this stir-fried pumpkin is actually a vegetarian dish.
If you want to cook this for your toddler so you want to be cautious about the sodium in the soy sauce, you can use salt instead of soy sauce.